pendejo (plural pendejos)
- Typically only used by Spanish-speaking people.
From a contracted form of Vulgar Latin *pectiniculus (“pube, dirty person, rascal”), from Latin pecten (“comb, pubic hair”). Compare Portuguese pentelho (“pubic hair”) and English pectinate (“resembling a comb”).
pendejo m (plural pendejos)
- (derogatory, vulgar) arsehole, asshole, dirtbag, scumbag
- (derogatory) dumbass (stupid person).
- (chiefly Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay) young boy.
- (Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay) punk (an adolescent who presumes to be an adult).
- (Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Panama, Puerto Rico) coward.
- (Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, US, Venezuela) dickhead (stupid person).
- (Bolivia, Peru) smart.
- Although in some contexts sonso, bobo, tonto, menso, tarado, idiota, imbécil, estúpido and pendejo may be synonyms, in most contexts they have a different degree of intensity, with sonso having the mildest connotation, increasing in intensity in that rough order, to estúpido and pendejo, which have the most offensive meaning.