- præclude (obsolete)
- (transitive) Remove the possibility of; rule out; prevent or exclude; to make impossible.
- It has been raining for days, but that doesn’t preclude the possibility that the skies will clear by this afternoon!
- 2013 August 9, Douglas Main, “Israel Outlaws Water Fluoridation”, in livescience, retrieved 2013-09-30:
- Israel's decision to ban fluoridation follows a vote to preclude the practice in Portland, Ore., and Wichita, Kan. It was also recently overturned in Hamilton, the fourth most populous city in New Zealand.
- 2020 June 17, David Clough, “Then and now: trains through Crewe”, in Rail, page 61:
- All the overnight trains were composed of Mk 1 vehicles that had vacuum brakes. This precluded the use of new Class 87s, which only had train air braking equipment, [...].
- Rhymes: -ude