Relating to the shyness of bairns (“children”) for making requests.
shy bairns get nowt
- If you're too shy, or don't ask, you will not get what you want.
- A' forgot te ask hor for me money back!
- Wye, shy bairns get nowt
- Used widely in the North East of England and is often used to encourage children to speak up and not to be too shy.
- Used also by adults to imply others are too shy.
- Used to say that you should never be afraid to ask, because if you ask there's a chance you might get what you want. If you don't ask, you'll never get it.