- Rhymes: -ɔːlɪn
tarpaulin (plural tarpaulins)
- (countable) A heavy, waterproof sheet of material, often cloth, used as a cover.
- Throw a tarpaulin over that woodpile before it gets wet.
- (countable, slang, archaic) A sailor. Often abbreviated to just tar.
- (uncountable, obsolete) Any heavy, waterproof material used as a cover.
- (uncountable, nautical, obsolete) Canvas waterproofed with tar, used as a cover.
- A hat made of, or covered with, painted or tarred cloth, worn by sailors and others.
- In the US, tarp is more commonly used than tarpaulin, even in print.
heavy, waterproof sheet of material
any heavy, waterproof material used as a cover
Translations to be checked