See also: ulster
- (geographical) The northern province of Ireland, made up of all six Northern Irish counties and three counties in the Republic of Ireland.
- (politics, proscribed) The six counties that make up Northern Ireland.
- The historical province of Ulster included present-day Northern Ireland as well as parts of the Republic of Ireland. Using the word Ulster to refer only to Northern Ireland is often proscribed. This is in part because this usage is imprecise (but so is, eventually, "Northern Ireland" itself). More importantly, this usage is typical of a partisan, unionist parlance and is therefore avoided for neutrality.
- The word is also used in the attributive form relating to, or originating from Ulster, e.g. an Ulster fry.
northern province of Ireland
Relating to, or originating from Ulster
Ulster (plural Ulsters)
- Alternative form of (men's heavy overcoat).