|Audio (Northern California, US)||(file)|
anadromous (not comparable)
- (of a migratory fish) That lives in the sea and breeds in fresh water.
- Shads and most species of salmon are anadromous.
- 2017, James C Scott, chapter 1, in Against the Grain, New Haven & London: Yale, →ISBN, page 53:
- Bird migration routes favor marshes and river valleys, as do, more obviously, the movement of anadromous salmon and, the mirror image, catadromous eels, to mention only two of the numerous migrating fish species.
- (botany) Of a fern in which the first veins in a frond segment are produced towards the apex of the frond.
- (botany): catadromous
of migratory fish