- To reduce to nothing, to destroy, to eradicate.
- An atom bomb can annihilate a whole city.
- (particle physics) To react with antimatter, producing gamma radiation.
- (archaic) To treat as worthless, to vilify.
- 1603, John Florio, transl.; Michel de Montaigne, chapter 17, in The Essayes, […], book II, printed at London: By Val[entine] Simmes for Edward Blount […], OCLC 946730821:
- of all the opinions which Antiquity hath had of men in gross, those which I most willingly embrace, and whereon I take most hold, are such as most vilifie, condemne, and annihilate us.
- (transitive) To render null and void; to abrogate.
to reduce to nothing, to destroy, to eradicate
to react with antimatter
- annihilate in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- annihilate in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.