- (transitive) To bring into being; give rise to.
2012 May 9, Jonathan Wilson, “Europa League: Radamel Falcao's Atlético Madrid rout Athletic Bilbao”, in the Guardian:
- In the last 20 minutes Athletic began to generate the sort of pressure of which they are capable, but by then it was far too late: the game had begun to slip away from them as early as the seventh minute.
2013 June 22, “T time”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8841, page 68:
- The ability to shift profits to low-tax countries by locating intellectual property in them […] is often assumed to be the preserve of high-tech companies. […] current tax rules make it easy for all sorts of firms to generate […] “stateless income”: profit subject to tax in a jurisdiction that is neither the location of the factors of production that generate the income nor where the parent firm is domiciled.
The discussion generated an uproar.
- (transitive) To produce as a result of a chemical or physical process.
Adding concentrated sulphuric acid to water generates heat.
- (transitive) To procreate, beget.
They generated many offspring.
- (transitive, mathematics) To form a figure from a curve or solid.
Rotating a circle generates a sphere.
- (intransitive) To appear or occur; be generated.
- (to bring into being): annihilate, degenerate, extinguish
- (to produce as a result of a chemical or physical process): erase
to bring into being
to produce as a result of a chemical or physical process
to procreate, beget
mathematics: to form a figure
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- generate in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- generate in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- second-person plural present of
- second-person plural present subjunctive of generare
- second-person plural imperative of generare
- feminine plural past participle of generare