- (transitive) To say defamatory things about someone or something; to speak ill of.
- (transitive) To belittle through speech; to put down.
- 2021 March 2, Jason Scott, Wang Xining (王晰宁), “China Rips Murdoch’s News Corp. for Reports on Pandemic Origins”, in Bloomberg News:
- "Those who deliberately vilify China and sabotage the friendship between our two countries and do damage to our long-term friendship and benefits out of their sectoral or selfish interest will be cast aside in history,” he said. “Their children will be ashamed of mentioning their names."
say defamatory things about; to speak ill of
denounce, belittle through speech
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.