cholla (plural chollas)
- Any of several species of cactus in the genus Cylindropuntia, having very spiny, cylindrical stem segments.
- 1889 January 26, “Archæological camping in Arizona”, in American Architect and Architecture, volume 52, page 43:
- Throughout Arizona the floors of such caves are found covered with a deep bed of chollas.
- 1890 October 1, “A Series of Eggs of Palmer's Thrasher”, in The Ornithologist and Oölogist, volume 15, page 155:
- The cholla was two feet high, and six feet in diameter.
- 2009 February 26, Karen Crouse, “Woods Returns as He Left: A Winner”, in New York Times:
- On the front nine, Jones stuck to Woods like a cholla cactus.
cholla f (plural chollas)