- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈsɜː.kəm.skɹaɪb/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈsɝ.kəm.skɹaɪb/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -aɪb
- To draw a line around; to encircle.
- To limit narrowly; to restrict.
- 2013 June 7, David Simpson, “Fantasy of navigation”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 36:
- It is tempting to speculate about the incentives or compulsions that might explain why anyone would take to the skies in [the] basket [of a balloon]: […]; perhaps to moralise on the oneness or fragility of the planet, or to see humanity for the small and circumscribed thing that it is; […].
- (geometry) To draw the smallest circle or higher-dimensional sphere that has (a polyhedron, polygon, etc.) in its interior.
to draw a line around; encircle
to limit narrowly; restrict
to draw a circle, sphere, or higher-dimensional ball