See also: Engagement
Audio (US) (file)
engagement (plural engagements)
- (countable) an appointment, especially to speak or perform
- The lecturer has three speaking engagements this week.
- (uncountable) connection or attachment
- Check the gears for full engagement before turning the handle.
- (countable or uncountable) the period of time when marriage is planned or promised
- We are enjoying a long engagement, but haven't yet set a date.
- In any situation of conflict, an actual instance of active hostilities.
- The engagement resulted in many casualties.
- (fencing) the point at which the fencers are close enough to join blades, or to make an effective attack during an encounter.
- After engagement it quickly became clear which of the fencers was going to prevail.
an appointment, especially to speak or perform
connection or attachment
period of time when marriage is planned or promised
in any situation of conflict, an actual instance of active hostilities
the point at which the fencers are close enough to join blades
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
engagement m (plural engagements)
- “engagement” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).