- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfaɪ.nəl.i/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈfaɪ.nl̩.i/, /ˈfaɪn.li/
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophone: finely (some US dialects)
finally (not comparable)
- At the end or conclusion; ultimately.
- (sequence) To finish (with); lastly (in the present).
- 1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 2, in The Celebrity:
- I had occasion […] to make a somewhat long business trip to Chicago, and on my return […] I found Farrar awaiting me in the railway station. He smiled his wonted fraction by way of greeting, […], and finally leading me to his buggy, turned and drove out of town.
- For more quotations using this term, see Citations:finally.
- (manner) Definitively, comprehensively.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked