Unknown, first attested in the late 17th c. Possible etymologies:
- Alteration of huzzah. This is however questionable.
- From hurra in German, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian, húrra in Icelandic, hoera in Dutch.
- Used to express approval, joy or victory.
- Lizzie has broken a world record, and is now an Olympic medallist! – Hooray!
elated expression of approval
hooray (plural hoorays)
- A shout to signify victory.
- An expression of excitement.
a shout to signify victory
an expression of excitement
- To shout an expression of excitement.
to shout an expression of excitement