- public, known, to the daylight, to the open (ceasing to be secret, unknown or hidden)
- (as modifier) completely, very much
- ilmiselvä ― obvious / completely clear
- ilmi elävä ― very much alive
- (as modifier) real, true
- Kinastelu muuttui vähitellen ilmiriidaksi.
- Quarreling turned little by little into a real fight.
Usually written as an open (spaced) compound together with adjectives, adverbs, and nouns, but only as a closed compound with verbs. Some commonly used collocations may be written both ways: ilmiselvä / ilmi selvä, ilmiliekki / ilmi liekki, ilmiriita / ilmi riita, and yet others are always closed: ilmiantaja, ilmianto, ilmiasu, ilmitulo.
- (to the open): julki
- (completely): täysin
- (real, true): todellinen
- ilmeinen (obvious)
- Alternative form of