- IPA(key): /ˈlɔːn.dɹi/
- (Canada, cot–caught merger) IPA(key): /ˈlɑn.dɹi/
Audio (US) (file)
- A laundering; a washing.
- A place or room where laundering is done - including, by extension, other forms of laundering than clothes washing.
- 1883, Winser, Henry J., The Yellowstone National Park-A Manual for Tourists, New York: G.P. Putnam Sons, page 46:
- Old Faithful is sometimes degraded by being made a laundry. Garments placed in the crater during quiescence are ejected thoroughly washed when the eruption takes place.
- That which needs to be, is being, or has been laundered. [from c. 1930]
- You've left your dirty laundry all over the house.
- 1935, New York Court of Appeals. Records and Briefs., page 69:
- Q. Did you use to do the washing around your house, too? / The Court: She did all the work of the house, I suppose. / Mr. Feltenstein: That's what I want to find out. / A. I gave the laundry to the laundry. / Q. What? / A. I gave the wash to the laundry.
Terms derived from laundry
place or room where laundering is done
that which needs to be laundered
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked