- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /laɪˈtəʊ.tiːz/, enPR: lītō'tēz
- Hyphenation: li‧to‧tes
Audio (RP) (file)
|Examples (figure of speech)|
litotes (plural litotes)
- (rhetoric) An ironic figure of speech whereby something is stated by denying its opposite, particularly the negation of a negative quality to say something positive.
- 1895, William Congreve, “Introduction”, in G. S. Street, editor, The Comedies of William Congreve, volume 1, Methuen and Co.:
- The delicacy which prompts a later generation to reject that name is by no means necessarily a result of stricter habits, is far more often due to the flatness which comes of untiring repetition and to the greater piquancy of litotes.
rhetoric: stating a point by denying its opposite
- plural of
litotes m inan (indeclinable)
- litotes in Wielki słownik języka polskiego, Instytut Języka Polskiego PAN
- litotes in Polish dictionaries at PWN
litotes f (plural litotes)