- (uncountable, rhetoric) A figure of speech whereby something is made to seem smaller or less important than it actually is, either through phrasing or lack of emphasis, often for ironic effect.
- (countable) An instance of such phrasing or lack of emphasis.
- Now that's an understatement.
- Hyponym: laconism
- An incomplete disclosure that intentionally withholds relevant information.
statement less than complete
- IPA(key): /ˌɑn.də(r)ˈsteːt.mənt/ (the realisation may approximate English pronunciation: /ər/ will often be realised as [ɚ] or [ə])
- Hyphenation: un‧der‧state‧ment
understatement n (plural understatements)
understatement m (invariable)