live by the sword, die by the sword
- Then said Jesus unto him, "Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."
- One who uses violence can expect a violent response; it is better to try to use peaceful means wherever possible.
- (figuratively) One can expect dire outcomes from any vice; used to convey a sense that poetic justice is inevitable.
- (figuratively) The means of one's success can become the means of one's downfall.
Boogie Nights (1997) review, Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times:
- And in Dirk Diggler's most anguished scene, as he shouts at Jack Horner, "I'm ready to shoot my scene RIGHT NOW!" we learn that those who live by the sword can also die by it.
- 2009, Larry Downes, The Laws of Disruption: Harnessing the New Forces That Govern Life and Business in the Digital Age, Basic Books ISBN 9780465019984
- In the “live by the sword, die by the sword” category of ironic litigation, consider the fate of struggling hardware and software maker Sun Microsystems.
one who uses violence can expect a violent response