- Rhymes: -ɪəriəs
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /mɪˈstɪəɹi.əs/
- (General American) IPA(key): /məˈstɪɹi.əs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Of unknown origin.
- Synonym: untraceable
- He received a mysterious phone call this morning.
- Having unknown qualities.
- Synonyms: esoteric, uncertain, undefined; see also Thesaurus:mysterious
- Hyponyms: anonymous, faceless, unexplored, unnamed, long-mysterious
- Our boss is a mysterious man who hardly ever meets with us.
- Difficult to understand.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:incomprehensible
- Why he left without saying goodbye is quite mysterious.
- Deliberately evasive or enigmatic.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:covert
- Stop being mysterious and just tell me what you want.
of unknown origin
having unknown qualities
difficult to understand
deliberately evasive or enigmatic
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.