See also: ngoại
- outside (of an interior or enclosed space)
- ngoài nhà/phòng ― outside the house/room
- ngoài vòng tròn ― outside the circle
- out (through an opening)
- ngoài cửa (sổ) ― out the door/window
- in/at (an outdoor or external location)
- ngoài sân ― outside in the yard
- ngoài bãi biển ― at the beach
- bệnh ngoài da ― external (medical) conditions, as opposed to internal conditions (literally, “illnesses on the outside, on the skin”)
- in (a place in northern Vietnam)
- ngoài bắc ― someplace in northern Vietnam; "the north"
- ngoài Hà Nội ― in Hanoi, which is to the north of where we are
- outside (of); except (for); other than
- Ngoài tôi ra thì không ai biết làm cả.
- I'm the only one who can do it.
- (literally, “Other than me, nobody knows how to do it.”)