- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɑb.vi.əs/, (fast speech) /ˈɑ.vi.əs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɒ.vɪəs/, /ˈɒb.vɪəs/, (fast speech) /ˈɒv.jəs/
- Hyphenation: ob‧vi‧ous
Audio (US) (file)
- Easily discovered, seen, or understood; self-explanatory.
- 1910, Emerson Hough, chapter II, in The Purchase Price: Or The Cause of Compromise, Indianapolis, Ind.: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, →OCLC:
- Carried somehow, somewhither, for some reason, on these surging floods, were these travelers, of errand not wholly obvious to their fellows, yet of such sort as to call into query alike the nature of their errand and their own relations. It is easily earned repetition to state that Josephine St. Auban's was a presence not to be concealed.
- 1961 February, R. K. Evans, “The role of research on British Railways”, in Trains Illustrated, page 92:
- One of the most obvious results of the B.R. Modernisation Plan has been the increasing use of diesel and electric traction; a less obvious by-product is the increase in track damage possible with the new forms of traction.
- 2013 August 17, “Down towns”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8849:
- It is not obvious, to economists anyway, that cities should exist at all. Crowds of people mean congestion and costly land and labour. But there are also well-known advantages to bunching up. When transport costs are sufficiently high a firm can spend more money shipping goods to clusters of consumers than it saves on cheap land and labour.
Derived terms Edit
- obvious error
- obvious fact
- obvious contradiction
- increasingly obvious
- perfectly obvious
- very obvious
- quite obvious
- fairly obvious
- rather obvious
- sufficiently obvious
- immediately obvious
- painfully obvious
- blatantly obvious
- glaringly obvious
- patently obvious
easily discovered or understood; self-explanatory
Further reading Edit
- “obvious”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- obvious at OneLook Dictionary Search
- obvious in Britannica Dictionary
- obvious in Macmillan Collocations Dictionary
- obvious in Ozdic collocation dictionary
- obvious in WordReference English Collocations