- (General American) IPA(key): /pɹoʊˈlɔŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pɹəʊˈlɒŋ/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (cot–caught merger, Canada) IPA(key): /pɹoʊˈlɑŋ/
- Rhymes: -ɒŋ
- Hyphenation: pro‧long
- (transitive) To extend in space or length.
- (transitive) To lengthen in time; to extend the duration of
- Synonym: draw out
- Complaining prolongs one’s pain.
- (transitive) To put off to a distant time; to postpone.
- The government shouldn't prolong deciding on this issue any further.
- (intransitive) To become longer; lengthen.
to extend in space or length
to lengthen in time; to extend the duration of; to draw out; to continue
to lengthen; to put off to a distant time; to postpone