- The removal of stress or discomfort.
- I sighed with relief when I found out that my daughter hadn't got lost, but was waiting for me at home.
- The feeling associated with the removal of stress or discomfort.
- 2020 April 8, Philip Haigh, “Out of the current crisis we could see meaningful changes”, in Rail, page 56:
- DfT's action was greeted with great relief in many quarters.
- Release from a post or duty, as when replaced by another.
- The person who takes over a shift for another.
- Officer Schmidt can finally go home because his relief has arrived.
- Aid or assistance offered in time of need.
- (law) Court-ordered compensation, aid, or protection, a redress.
- A lowering of a tax through special provisions; tax relief.
- A certain fine or composition paid by the heir of a tenant upon the death of the ancestor.
- (removal of stress and discomfort): ease, alleviation, liss, respite
- (feeling of removal of stress and discomfort): ease, alleviation, liss
- (person who takes over a shift): stand-in, substitute, backup, fill-in
removal of stress or discomfort
feeling associated with removal of stress or discomfort
person who takes over a shift
humanitarian aid or assistance
aid or assistance offered in time of need
law: court-ordered compensation, aid, or protection, redress
reduction in tax
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked: "exemption, liberation, exoneration, derogation"
- A type of sculpture or other artwork in which shapes or figures protrude from a flat background.
- The apparent difference in elevation in the surface of a painting or drawing made noticeable by a variation in light or color.
- The difference of elevations on a surface.
- the relief on that part of the Earth's surface
- (heraldry) The supposed projection of a charge from the surface of a field, indicated by shading on the sinister and lower sides.
type of artwork
apparent difference in elevation
difference of elevations on a surface
- (of a surface) Characterized by surface inequalities.
- Of or used in letterpress.
relief m (plural reliefs)
- projection, relief
- (geography, mineralogy) relief, surface elevation
- (figuratively) contrast, definition, offset (against something else)
- (sculpture) relief
- “relief” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
relief m inan
declension of relief
relief n (plural reliefuri)
- relief (difference of elevations on the Earth's surface)