- (General American) IPA(key): /ɹɪˈtɹæktɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɹɪˈtɹæktə/
- Rhymes: -æktə(ɹ)
retractor (plural retractors)
- One who, or that which, retracts.
- In breech-loading firearms, a device for withdrawing a cartridge shell from the barrel.
- (chess) A chess puzzle in which a number of moves are retracted and the solver is challenged to reach an alternate outcome.
- A surgical instrument used to hold apart the edges of an incision or wound.
- A bandage to protect soft parts of the body from injury by a surgical saw.
- (zoology) A muscle serving to draw in any part.
a surgical instrument used to hold apart the edges of an incision or wound
- retractor in Charles du Fresne du Cange’s Glossarium Mediæ et Infimæ Latinitatis (augmented edition, 1883–1887)