- a cassowary bone
- Arjen Lock (2007) Phonology Essentials: Abau Language, SIL International
Alternative forms edit
Etymology 1 edit
From Middle Dutch ruuch, ru, rou, from Old Dutch *rūh, *rū, from Proto-Germanic *rūhwaz. The original stem ended in -h-, which disappeared between vowels, giving *rū- in the inflected forms in Old Dutch. This then gave rise to an alternative uninflected form *rū, which developed into Middle Dutch ru, rou, modern Dutch ruw, rouw. The original uninflected form was back-formed to ruig based on other words with -ch in the uninflected form and -g- in inflected forms, similar to what happened to hoog.
- rough, crude, harsh (not gentle)
- raw, crude (unprocessed)
- De ruwe suiker wordt hier binnengebracht.
- The raw sugar enters the building right here.
- Dit is een bijproduct van ruwe olie.
- This is a byproduct of crude oil.
|Inflection of ruw|
Etymology 2 edit
See the etymology of the corresponding lemma form.