- (transitive) To partially free something of microorganisms by cleaning or disinfecting.
- (transitive, by extension) To make something, such as a dramatic work, more acceptable by removing potentially offensive material.
- (transitive, computing) To filter text to ensure it does not contain any characters that will cause problems for or be interpreted in an adverse way by the receiving system.
- (transitive, computing) To remove sensitive or personal data from a database or file.
- (transitive) To revise a document in order to prevent identification of the sources.
to free from microorganisms