sneaker (plural sneakers)
- One who sneaks.
- 1823, Elia [pseudonym; Charles Lamb], Elia. Essays which have Appeared under that Signature in The London Magazine, London: […] Taylor and Hessey, […], OCLC 559961973:
- Beshrew the man who on such a day as this, the general festival, should affect to stand aloof. I am none of those sneakers. I am free of the corporation, and care not who knows it.
- (US, Atlantic Canada, New Zealand) An athletic shoe with a soft, rubber sole.
- (Britain, dialect, archaic) A vessel of drink.
- I have just left the right worshipful and his myrmidons about a sneaker of five gallons!
- (biology) A sneaker male.
- 2008, Faye Flam, The Score: The Science of the Male Sex Drive:
- These sneakers may go on this way indefinitely, or, if one of the big males somehow dies or disappears, a sneaker male's hormones will trigger a huge growth spurt and he'll metamorphose into an alpha male.
- (sports shoes): kicks, tennis shoe (US), trainer (UK), runner (Australia), running shoe, see also Thesaurus:sports shoe
one who sneaks
leisure shoes, often worn for sports; trainers
sneaker m (plural sneakeres)