- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: bäs'kĭt, IPA(key): /ˈbɑːskɪt/
- (Australia) enPR: bäs'kət, IPA(key): /ˈbaːskət/
- (US) enPR: băs'kĭt, IPA(key): /ˈbæskɪt/
Audio (US) (file)
basket (plural baskets)
- A lightweight container, generally round, open at the top, and tapering toward the bottom.
A basket of fake fruit adorned the table.
- A wire or plastic container similar in shape to a basket, used for carrying articles for purchase in a shop.
- In an online shop, a notional place to store items before ordering them.
- (basketball) A circular hoop, from which a net is suspended, which is the goal through which the players try to throw the ball.
The point guard drove toward the basket.
- (basketball) The act of putting the ball through the basket, thereby scoring points.
The last-second basket sealed the victory.
- The game of basketball.
Let's play some basket.
- A dance movement in some line dances, where men put their arms round the women's lower backs, and the women put their arms over the mens' shoulders, and the group (usually of four, any more is difficult) spins round, which should result in the women's feet leaving the ground.
- (Britain, slang) Genitals.
- (obsolete) In a stage-coach, two outside seats facing each other.
- (archaic) A protection for the hand on a sword or a singlestick; a guard of a bladed weapon.
- (ballooning) Where the pilot and passengers are.
2013 June 7, David Simpson, “Fantasy of navigation”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 36:
- Like most human activities, ballooning has sponsored heroes and hucksters and a good deal in between. For every dedicated scientist patiently recording atmospheric pressure and wind speed while shivering at high altitudes, there is a carnival barker with a bevy of pretty girls willing to dangle from a basket or parachute down to earth.
- (architecture) The bell or vase of the Corinthian capital.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Gwilt to this entry?)
- (container used in a shop): cart, shopping basket, shopping cart
- (storage place for online items): cart, shopping basket, shopping cart
- (basketball): basketball, hoops
Terms derived from basket
- basket case
- basket chair
- basket forceps
- basket hilt
- basket house
- Basket Maker
- basket of currencies
- basket star
- basket trade
- basket weave
- burden basket
wire or plastic container for carrying articles for purchase — see shopping basket
notional place to store items before ordering them online
basketball: hoop from which a net is suspended
basketball: act of putting the ball through the basket
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- To place in a basket or in baskets.
- basketball (the sport)
basket m (plural basket)
basket f (plural baskets)
- (Europe, especially in plural) sneaker, trainer (UK)
On y va dès que tout le monde a fini de mettre ses baskets.
- We'll go once everyone has put on their sneakers.
basket c (uncountable)
Declension of basket