See also: stop-gap
- stop-gap (more common in the UK)
Audio (US) (file)
stopgap (not comparable)
- (Should we delete(+) this sense?) Filling a gap or pause.
- (Should we delete(+) this sense?) Temporary; short-term.
- They put a stopgap solution in place, but need something more permanent.
stopgap (plural stopgaps)
- That which fills a gap or hiatus.
- (figuratively) A temporary measure or short-term fix used until something better can be obtained; that which serves as an expedient in an emergency; a band-aid solution.
- The small company uses their old product with a few kludged enhancements as a stopgap until they can develop a new product.