- (General American) IPA(key): /səbˈdu/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /səbˈdjuː/
- Rhymes: -uː
- Hyphenation: sub‧due
- To overcome, quieten, or bring under control.
- 2011 September 2, Phil McNulty, “Bulgaria 0-3 England”, in BBC:
- Gary Cahill, a target for Arsenal and Tottenham before the transfer window closed, put England ahead early on and Rooney was on target twice before the interval as the early hostility of the Bulgarian supporters was swiftly subdued.
- To bring (a country) under control by force.
▼ English terms derived from the PIE root *dewk- (0 c, 65 e)
to overcome, quieten, bring under control
to bring (a country) under control by force