- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɝpləs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɜːpləs/
- Hyphenation: sur‧plus
- That which remains when use or need is satisfied, or when a limit is reached; excess; overplus.
- Specifically, an amount in the public treasury at any time greater than is required for the ordinary purposes of the government.
- (law) The remainder of a fund appropriated for a particular purpose.
- (law) assets left after liabilities and debts, including capital stock have been deducted.
funds in public treasury greater than ordinary needs
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
surplus (not comparable)
- Being or constituting a surplus; more than sufficient
- surplus revenues
- surplus population
- surplus words
- It is surplus to our needs
being a surplus
- To treat as surplus to requirements, to sell off.
surplus m (plural surplus)
- “surplus” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).