- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈtɑl.ə.ɹeɪt/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈtɒl.ə.ɹeɪt/
Audio (US) (file)
- To allow (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) to exist or occur without interference.
- I like the way he plays the guitar, but I can't tolerate his voice when he sings.
- I can tolerate working on Saturdays, but not on Sundays.
to allow without interference
- tolerate in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- tolerate in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- tolerate at OneLook Dictionary Search