See also Wert
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)t
- (archaic) Second-person singular simple past tense subjunctive of be (used with the pronoun "thou").
- If thou wert mine, I would be in heaven!
- 1611, The Bible, King James (Authorised) Version, (first & last usages),
- Job 8:6 "If thou wert pure and upright; surely now he would awake for thee, ..."
- Revelation 3:15 "I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot."
- 1820, Percy Bysshe Shelley, To A Skylark, (first two lines of ode),
- "Hail to thee, blithe Spirit! Bird thou never wert, ..."
- “wert” in The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, Houghton Mifflin Company, 2000.
- “wert” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.0.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006.