- IPA(key): /dʒɪf/, /gɪf/
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (US, considered improper) (file)
- Steve Wilhite, the inventor of the GIF format in 1987, says that it was originally pronounced with /dʒ/ and that such pronunciation is "correct", but the pronunciation with /ɡ/ is also widespread.
- Rhymes: -ɪf
GIF (plural GIFs)
- (computing) A bitmap image format for pictures with support for animations and up to 256 distinct colors per frame, including a fully transparent color.
- An image encoded in GIF file format; such a file.
- To create a GIF file of (an image or video sequence, especially relating to an event).
- he GIFed the highlights of the debate
- ^ "Gif's inventor says ignore dictionaries and say 'Jif'", BBC News, May 22 2013.