- As a north German surname, from Low German Kane (“small boat”), from Middle Low German kāne, from Old Saxon *kano, from Proto-West Germanic *kanō, from Proto-Germanic *kanô (“vessel, boat”).
- Also as a north German surname, from a short form of Kahnert, a variant of Konrad.
- Among Jews, a Germanicised form of Cohen.
Proper noun edit
- A surname from German.
An originally only Central and Low German word, spread by Luther. From northern Middle High German kane and Middle Low German kāne, from Old High German and Old Saxon *kano, all from Proto-West Germanic *kanō, from Proto-Germanic *kanô (“vessel, boat”).
- a small flat-bottomed boat such as a punt, used on inland waters
- Synonym: Nachen
- (slightly humorous) a ship, especially when old or in need of repair