From Swede + -ish. Cognate with Dutch Zweeds, German Schwedisch.
Swedish (countable and uncountable, plural Swedishes)
- The language of Sweden and Åland (an autonomous part of Finland). Swedish is also one of the two official languages of Finland, spoken by 6% of the citizens. A very small minority in Estonia has Swedish as their mother tongue.
- For quotations using this term, see Citations:Swedish.
- Wiktionary’s coverage of Swedish terms
- Appendix:Swedish Swadesh list for a Swadesh list of basic vocabulary words in Swedish
- “Swedish”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- ISO 639-1 code sv, ISO 639-3 code swe (SIL)
- Ethnologue entry for Swedish, swe
Swedish (not comparable)
- Of or pertaining to Sweden.
- Of or pertaining to the Swedish language.
of or pertaining to Sweden
of or pertaining to the Swedish language