Open main menu

Wiktionary β

User talk:Caligari

If You cannot find a certain comment or discussion on this site anymore, You’d better take a look into my junk room.


Hello Bogorm,
many thanks for welcoming me. - Best regards, Caligari 04:40, 28 February 2010 (UTC)


Hi there. I came across this German word here. It looks to me like a feminine form of the adjective extraterrestrisch but both us and the German Wiktionary don't give a feminine form. I only know basic German so don't know what to do with it. Any ideas? SemperBlotto (talk) 12:20, 21 December 2012 (UTC)

  • OK, sorry to have bothered you - finally figured it out. SemperBlotto (talk) 12:33, 21 December 2012 (UTC)


Hi there. I have added this noun to the best of my ability. Is it the case that, as in Italian, the infinitive of any verb can also be used as a noun. SemperBlotto (talk) 10:34, 27 December 2012 (UTC)

Hi SemperBlotto. Exactly, the infinitive of any verb can also be used as a noun. But if they are used as nouns they take no plural forms; these nouns are singularia tantum). Exept for the plural the articles are correct. Auftreten misses also a lot of further meanings. I'll add them as soon as I find some extra time. Take care! Cheers, Caligari ƆɐƀïиϠ 12:09, 27 December 2012 (UTC)
I checked all of your articles today and corrected the genitive form in some cases. I also have extended Auftreten. Could you please check if I made any formal mistakes since I'm not familiar with how things normally have to be in an article. I also added Template:R:Duden and Bewegungsstörung. Cheers, Caligari ƆɐƀïиϠ 16:26, 27 December 2012 (UTC)


Hi there again. I came across abgesättigt in the German Wikipedia. It seems to be the past participle of absättigen. I can only find a definition for sättigen, so does it mean "to fully saturate"? The verb aufsättigen also seems to exist. SemperBlotto (talk) 09:14, 29 December 2012 (UTC)

Hello SemperBlotto!
You're right: «abgesättigt» is the past participle of «absättigen».
Definitions of «absättigen» are given in Duden dictionary that can also be found in the online edition. According to it the verb has two meanings:
1. chemistry: to be incapable (lit. no more capable) of any further reaction or bond
2. psychology: to satisfy (a need, desire)
I could not find aufsättigen so far. Seems to be a technical term as well (maybe expressing the opposite of the 1. meaning). As soon as I find something, I'll let you know.
Take care! Cheers, Caligari ƆɐƀïиϠ 16:34, 29 December 2012 (UTC)


Hi there. I think that our declension table for edel is wrong. The strong nominative forms should be "edler", "edle" etc rather than "edeler", "edele" etc. If you agree, do you think you could correct it (I shall delete wrong inflected forms). Also, I have just created unedel based upon it, so that will need fixing as well. Cheers SemperBlotto (talk) 17:35, 6 January 2013 (UTC)

Hi SemperBlotto,
let me first and foremost apologize for replying waaaaaaayyyyy too belated. I simply forgot to check back here. :-) If this seems to happen again and I'm not answering in time, please leave a short reminder on my German talk page.
So as to your assumption: You're absolutely right. I do not know how strictly the rules for such a correction are here but if you formally need to give references to do so you could mention "Duden, Richtiges und gutes Deutsch" (a dictionary on the correct usage of German):
"Bei edel fällt, wenn es dekliniert oder gesteigert wird, das e der Endungssilbe weg: ein edler Tropfen, Möbel aus edlerem Holz."[1]
"In case of edel the e of the final syllable is omitted if it gets declined or form the comparative: [examples]"
The same is with unedel. If you need a more general explication, You could use this quote:
"(Weglassen des e): Bei den Adjektiven auf -el fällt das e dieser Buchstabenverbindung in der Deklination und im Komparativ weg. Dadurch wird das Auftreten einer Häufung unbetonter Silben vermieden: ein dunkler Gang, ein nobles Angebot, eine eitle Frau. Früher ließ man bei solchen Adjektiven stattdessen häufig das e der Flexionsendung -en weg: im dunkeln Hain usw.
Auch die Adjektive auf -abel und -ibel verlieren, wenn sie dekliniert oder gesteigert werden, das e der Endsilbe: eine respektable Leistung, ein flexibler Bucheinband, eine praktikablere Lösung.
Demgegenüber behalten die Adjektive auf -er und -en (in der geschriebenen Sprache) gewöhnlich das e bei: ein finsteres Gesicht, ein ebenes Gelände. Endet jedoch der Stamm des Adjektivs auf -au- oder -eu-, dann wird das e weggelassen: saures Bier, teure Zeiten. Auch bei vielen fremden Adjektiven lässt man das e der unbetonten Endung -er in den flektierten Formen weg: eine illustre Gesellschaft, integre Beamte, eine makabre Geschichte. Je stärker ein solches Adjektiv in den deutschen Wortschatz integriert ist, desto unauffälliger wirken Formen mit e: eine makabere Geschichte. Bei den Adjektiven leger und peripher, die auf der letzten Silbe betont werden, bleibt das e immer erhalten (legere Kleidung; periphere Blutgefäße). Auch bei dem aus dem Englischen entlehnten Adjektiv clever lässt man das e nicht weg (eine clevere Lösung). Früher fiel bei den Adjektiven auf -er häufig das e der Flexionsendung weg: mit düstern Mienen, einen muntern Knaben.
Beim deklinierten Partizip II auf -en fällt aus metrischen Gründen oder zur Erleichterung des Sprechens das e der Endung -en gelegentlich weg: gefrornes Wasser statt gefrorenes Wasser; zerbrochner Krug statt zerbrochener Krug; gezogne Linie statt gezogene Linie; gelungner Abend statt gelungener Abend."[2]
"(Omitting the e): In case of adjectives ending with -el the e of this letter compound is omitted in the declension and the comparative. Thus the occurance of an increasing number of unstressed syllables is avoided: [examples]. In former times one tended instead, in case of such adjectives, to omit frequently the e of the inflectional ending -en: [example].
Just as well adjectives ending with -abel and -ibel loose the e of the final syllable if they get declined or form the comparative: [examples].
Contrary to the forementioned, adjectives ending with -er and -en keep (in the written language) usually the e: [examples]. However, in case the stem of the adjective is ending with -au- or -eu, the e is omitted: [examples]. The e of the unstressed ending -er of the inflected forms is also omitted in case of many borrowed adjectives: [examples]. The more integrated into the German vocabulary such an adjective is, the more noticeable e-forms appear: [example]. In [the special] case of the adjectives leger and peripher that are [both] stressed on the final syllable, the e is always kept ([examples]). The same is with the adjective clever borrowed from English ([example]). In former times the e of the inflectional ending frequently was omitted from adjectives ending with -er: [examples].
In case of the declined Partizip II forms ending with -en the e of the ending -en is omitted occasionally for metrical reasons or due to facilitate speaking: [example] instead of [example]; ..."
  1. ^ Dudenredaktion, unter Mitwirkung von Peter Eisenberg und Jan Georg Schneider (ed.): Duden, Richtiges und gutes Deutsch. Das Wörterbuch der sprachlichen Zweifelsfälle. In: Der Duden in zwölf Bänden. Band 9, 7., vollständig überarbeitete Auflage, Dudenverlag, Mannheim 2011, →ISBN (CD-ROM-Ausgabe), headword »edel«.
  2. ^ ibid., note »1.2.13 ein ebenes / ebnes Gelände · ein dunkeler / dunkler Gang«.
  3. I hope this may be of any help.
    Cheers and, again, apologies for replying belated. — Caligari ƆɐƀïиϠ 14:47, 23 March 2015 (UTC)


    Prior to your edits on the etymology, this word had been in the category "German words derived from Middle Low German", which I've been working to fill. Please be careful not to delete the elemets {etyl}, {der}, {inh} when you edit etymologies. (Middle Low German goes until 1600, so a word borrowed from "Low German" before that year according to your sources is automatically from MLG -- incase that was your problem.) Kolmiel (talk) 17:52, 25 August 2016 (UTC)

    And please also be careful when you make very specific definitions. "Qualm" can be a perfect synonym of "Rauch". I use it that way. Many people do. There's "Zigarrenrauch" and "Zigarettenqualm", the latter isn't thicker than the former or anything. You can say: "smoke, particularly when very thick". So be a bit more careful. Best regards! Kolmiel (talk) 17:56, 25 August 2016 (UTC)
    Return to the user page of "Caligari".