See also: zeug
- Zeugs (chiefly informal and pejorative)
- IPA(key): /t͡sɔʏ̯k/ (standard)
- IPA(key): /t͡sɔʏ̯ç/ (northern and central Germany; now chiefly colloquial)
- stuff, gear, equipment
- Synonym: Material
- fabric, clothing, clothes
- Synonym: Stoff
- The plural Zeuge is quite rare since Zeug is normally an uncountable word. Some compounds, however, are countable (e.g. Fahrzeug) or may be countable depending on the context (e.g. Werkzeug). An alternate obsolete plural is Zeuger.
- Until the 19th century, Zeug was often treated as masculine by southern writers, except in the sense “fabric”, where the masculine was very rare. This usage is now obsolete and Zeug is exclusively neuter in contemporary German.
Declension of Zeug