See also: zeug
- Zeugs (chiefly informal and pejorative)
From Middle High German ziuc (“stuff, gear”), from Old High German giziug, from Proto-Germanic *tiugiją (“stuff, gear, device”). Compare Dutch tuig (“tool, gear”), Old Norse tygi (“gear”). More at toy.
- IPA(key): /t͡sɔʏ̯k/ (standard)
- IPA(key): /t͡sɔʏ̯ç/ (in northern and central Germany; chiefly colloquial)
- stuff, gear, equipment
- Synonym: Material
- fabric, clothing, clothes
- Synonym: Stoff
- The plural Zeuge is quite rare (except in compounds such as Fahrzeug). Generally, Zeug is treated as uncountable. An alternate obsolete plural is Zeuger.
- Until the 19th century, Zeug was often treated as masculine by southern writers, except in the sense “fabric”, where the masculine was very rare. This usage is now obsolete and Zeug is exclusively neuter in contemporary German.
Declension of Zeug
- Zeug in Duden online