above the law
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) Exempt from the laws that apply to everyone else.
- 1886 October – 1887 January, H[enry] Rider Haggard, She: A History of Adventure, London: Longmans, Green, and Co., published 1887, OCLC 1167497017:
- 'The law,' she laughed with scorn - 'the law! Canst thou not understand, oh Holly, that I am above the law, and so shall my Kallikrates be also? All human law will be to us as the north wind to a mountain.'
- The emperor is above the law.
- You may think you're above the law, but you're not.
exempt from the laws that apply to everyone else