as soon as
- Used other than figuratively or idiomatically: see as, soon.
- I came as soon as I could.
- At the moment when; immediately after.
- As soon as he arrived, everyone gasped.
- (idiomatic) Used to indicate that the first action mentioned is as likely as, or is preferred to, the second action mentioned.
- I'd jump out the window as soon as not.
- 2003 Oct. 12, William Safire (quoting 1913 New York City court records), "The Way We Live Now," New York Times (retrieved 19 Sep 2015):
- "He was a bad guy. He would hit you with a chunk of pipe as soon as look at you."
- 2013 April 5, David Hathaway, "Your 2nd Amendment Cop Buddy Will Take Your Guns," LewRockwell.com (retrieved 19 Sep 2015):
- "[T]hey are the worst of the worst and they will shoot you just as soon as say Hello."