- (UK) IPA(key): /æsəˈteɪn/
- (US) enPR: ăs-ər-tānʹ, IPA(key): /æsɚˈteɪn/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪn
- Hyphenation: as‧cer‧tain
- To find out definitely; to discover or establish.
1905, Baroness Emmuska Orczy, chapter 1, in The Tremarn Case:
- “There the cause of death was soon ascertained ; the victim of this daring outrage had been stabbed to death from ear to ear with a long, sharp instrument, in shape like an antique stiletto, which […] was subsequently found under the cushions of the hansom. […]”
- As soon as we ascertain what the situation is, we can plan how to proceed.
find out; discover or establish