From earlier *astik, possibly ast- + -i. Cognate with Karelian asti.
asti (+ allative or illative)
- (distance) up to, all the way to
- tänne asti = up to here, all the way down here
- sinne asti = up to there, all the way back there
- (temporally) until
- tähän asti = until now, so far, heretofore
- siihen asti = until then, thus far, theretofore
asti (+ ablative or elative)
- (distance) all the way from
- (temporally) since.
- Note that the meaning of asti depends on the case of the main word.
- (with allative, illative, ablative and elative): saakka