beating (plural beatings)
- The action by which someone or something is beaten.
- the beating of a drum
- secret beatings of prisoners
- A heavy defeat or setback.
- 2011 October 23, Phil McNulty, “Man Utd 1 - 6 Man City”, in BBC Sport:
- To increase United's pain, this was their first home defeat in any competition since April 2010, when they lost to Chelsea - but even that defeat, which effectively cost them the title, may not turn out to have the same long-term significance as this heavy beating.
- The pulsation of the heart.
action of the verb to beat
a heavy defeat or setback
the pulsation of the heart
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.