- To shout out in order to summon (a person).
- I leant out of the back door and called for Lucy.
- To ask for in a loud voice.
- We finished the main course in short order and called for more wine.
- (figuratively) To request, demand.
- The government has called for an end to hostilities in the region.
- To necessitate, demand.
- This situation calls for a high degree of courage.
- To stop at a place and ask for (someone).
- I'll call for you just after midday.
to ask for (something) in loud voice
to necessitate, demand