- A thick Italian pasta sauce, made with guanciale, grated cheese, beaten egg yolks and pepper.
- 1999, Roger D. Skillings, Where the Time Goes, page 10:
- One of my own grand carbonaras, some crisp and spicy greens, a clean Tuscan white, a pint of raspberry sorbet, a pot of freshly ground strong coffee, and a long beguiling night on my couch in pajamas with cannabis, good TV, and no qualms about the future, please.
- (by extension) A spaghetti dish made using such a sauce.
thick pasta sauce
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
carbonara f (plural carbonare)
- feminine equivalent of
- (by ellipsis) carbonara sauce
- (by ellipsis and by extension) carbonara pasta or, more specifically, spaghetti