- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkɑpiˌɹaɪt/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkɒpiˌɹaɪt/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: copy‧right
- (uncountable) The right by law to be the entity which determines who may publish, copy and distribute a piece of writing, music, picture or other work of authorship.
- Copyright is a separate legal area from trademarks.
- (countable) Such an exclusive right as it pertains to one or more specific works.
- The artist lost the copyrights to her songs when she signed the contract.
right to publish
- (transitive or intransitive) To obtain or secure a copyright for some literary or other artistic work.
- 1907, United States Congress House. Committee on Appropriations, District of Columbia Appropriations, page 253:
- Every book will be copyrighted that the publisher believes will have such a market as will justify him in going to the expense of copyrighting to prevent competition from other publishers.
- 1993, Gyeorgos Ceres Hatonn, The Beast at Work, →ISBN, page 161:
- Further, Mr. Mullins writes FOR YOU-THE-PEOPLE, copyrighting to protect listings and to make a statement—but willingly shares his work for, after all, if it is not read then of what worth is a book?
- 1997, Marc Davison, All Area Access: Personal Management for Unsigned Musicians, →ISBN, page 171:
- The sealed contents inside postmarked by the United State Post office will be proof enough of exactly when your work was completed. The disadvantage to this form of copyrighting is that your work is not traceable for anyone who is interested in acquiring information regarding copyright ownership.
- 2002, Spider-Man (film)
- J. J. Jameson: The Green Goblin. You like that? Made it up myself. These weirdos all gotta have a name now. Hoffman! Call the patent office, copyright the name "Green Goblin". I want a quarter every time somebody says it.
- 2006, Josh Becker & Bruce Campbell, The Complete Guide to Low-Budget Feature Filmmaking, →ISBN, page 55:
- When your script is completed you need to copyright it with the Library of Congress in Washington DC (you can get the forms from: Register of Copyrights, Library of Congress, Washington DC, 20559. Request form PA, or you can download them from www.loc.gov/copyright).
- 2008, Ann Gaines, Don't Steal Copyrighted Stuff!, →ISBN:
- Everything else that is written or created is automatically copyrighted.
- 2014, Jason R. Rich, Start Your Own Blogging Business, →ISBN:
- Copyrighting a name is easy and requires that you fill out a form (and pay a small fee).
place under a copyright
obtain a copyright
|Inflection of copyright (Kotus type 5/risti, no gradation)|