de la f (masculine du, plural des)
- Of the
- Some; the feminine partitive article.
- Voudriez-vous de la confiture ? — Would you like some jam?
- J'ai mangé de la tarte — I ate some pie.
- While English does have the partitive determiner some, the French article de la frequently translates to nothing at all in English; for example, the above example « J'ai mangé de la tarte » could also be translated simply as “I ate pie.”
- Like the definite article la (from which it derives), the partitive article de la undergoes elision, becoming de l'- before most words that start with vowel sounds.