- The sense “partnership” is a semantic loan from Dutch vennootschap (“partnership, company”).
- The sense “fellowship” is a semantic loan from Ancient Greek κοινωνία (koinōnía, “community, communion”).
- alliance, union
- joint venture, company
- partnership: an association of two or more people to conduct a business.
- (Christianity) fellowship
- (Christianity, only in compounds) communion
- Synonym: komuni
The word is part of false friends between Standard Malay and Indonesian due to shared etymology. The Brunei, Malaysia and Singapore usage can be seen in Malay persekutuan.
- “persekutuan” in Online Great Dictionary of the Indonesian Language [Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia Daring], Jakarta: Language Development and Fostering Agency — Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology of the Republic Indonesia, 2016.
The word is part of false friends between Standard Malay and Indonesian due to shared etymology. The Indonesia usage can be seen in Indonesian persekutuan.