See also: Scripture
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈskɹɪptʃɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈskɹɪptʃə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: scrip‧ture
- A sacred writing or holy book.
- The primary scripture in Zoroastrianism is the Avesta.
- 2001, Leander Keck, Who is Jesus? →ISBN, page 143:
- It would be quite unwise to deem the whole historical enterprise as wrong-headed and to think that one can revert to the gospels' way of reading scripture, […]
- (by extension) An authoritative statement.
- (religious texts) scripture, religious text; Bible, Qur'an, Tao Te Ching, Torah, Veda (Category: en:Religion) 
any sacred writing or book